Solar PV Electrical Engineer
Posted on: Apr 15, 2021
The Solar PV Electrical Engineer is responsible for engineering design and analysis under the responsible charge of a Professional Engineer in a manner that provides the client with an on time quality deliverable within budget. This individual serves as a member of an integrated design team and is responsible for coordinating with team members to meet project schedules and deliverables.
- Performs detailed design of all aspects of Photovoltaic (PV) Electrical Power Systems including string sizing, array layouts, tracker power and communication, one-line diagrams, wiring diagrams, Balance of System/Plant equipment details, conduit and cable sizing/routing, grounding design, equipment specifications, and project schedules
- Prepares computer-based models and performs power system studies on utility scale PV power plants including short circuit, load flow, relay coordination, arc flash, collection system grounding, harmonic analysis and other related studies
- Reviews equipment data sheets, manuals, and testing reports for design and approvals
- Prepares a variety of documents and reports associated with projects including cost estimates, budget reports, and studies
- Provides field assistance, troubleshooting, and observation reports
- Verifies the work of Designers, Drafters, and Field Service Personnel for general quality and accuracy, as required
- Maintains professional understanding of all applicable Codes and Standards, and construction practices
- Maintains strong and responsive Company-Client relationships, particularly for communication pertaining to specific assignments and meeting topics
- Maintains high ethical and professional standards
- Works additional time beyond 40 hours/week to complete projects, proposals and/or administrative functions, as required
- Attends conferences, training workshops, seminars, regular undergraduate and graduate classes as appropriate for advancement and as required to maintain quality of work
- Attends safety training and follow safety rules and guidelines
- Other job-related responsibilities as assigned
Skills & Knowledge
- Professional, articulate, and able to exercise good independent judgement and discretion
- Highly organized, motivated self-starter
- Proven record of delivering a high standard of quality work with attention to detail
- Comfortable working with limited information to create system designs and plans
- Flexible and able to adapt to a fast-paced environment with a quickly growing team
- Good interpersonal communication and relationship-building skills; ability to interact successfully at all levels of the organization; high emotional intelligence
- A strong command of the English language
Qualifications & Experience
- Experience: 3+ years of engineering or relevant field experience
- Education: Bachelor’s in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology from an accredited institution, electric power option preferred
- Licensure: FE or PE preferred
- Proficiency with AutoCAD
- Proficiency with some power system software such as EasyPower, ETAP or SKM, and CYMCAP preferred
- Proficiency in PVsyst and other PV specific software packages preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Excel, Word, and standard computer software
- Must be able to legally work in the United States
Work is performed in an office setting and some field work is also required.
Travel is required (approximately 15 – 20%).
Must be able to lift 50lbs.
Employee is responsible for managing their own work schedule with input from supervisor and completing assigned tasks.
Employee should identify discrepancies in assigned work and bring to attention of supervisor or engineer responsible for the project in a timely manner. Employee’s work product should be self-checked in a manner that is suitable for review by the supervisor or engineer responsible for the project.
$60,000 – $110,000