Substation Civil Engineer
Posted on: Feb 22, 2021
The substation civil engineer is responsible for performing engineering design and analysis under the responsible charge of a Professional Engineer in a manner that provides the client with a quality deliverable that is on time and within budget.
- Perform detailed civil and structural design for all aspects of electric power supply facilities including generating plants, transmission lines, distribution lines, substations, utility, industrial and commercial facilities.
- Typical design products might include equipment general arrangement, elevations, plan and profile, grading plans, road plans, foundation plan and details, structural steel drawings and details, bus and connection details, bill of materials, building plan, conductor stringing tables, fence details, permitting, and drainage plans.
- Selection of equipment, writing of equipment, concrete, and steel specifications, project and construction cost estimates, and project scheduling. Review of submittals for conformance with specifications and design.
- Prepare hand and computer-based calculations and models for structural designs ( create a simple hand check to quantify the computer-aided results).
- Prepare a variety of documents and reports associated with projects including cost estimates, budget reports, proposals, and studies.
- Perform field inspection and construction supervision services.
- Checking the work of designers, drafters, and field service personnel for general quality and accuracy as required.
- Understanding and applications of applicable Codes and Standards.
- Interaction with clients, customers, contractors, and others.
- Assists with client contacts and communication pertaining to specific assignments and meetings.
- Maintain outstanding company-client relationships.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Skills & Knowledge
- Licensure: FE or PE preferred.
- Proficiency with AutoCad, modeling and design software such as SAP2000, PLS-CADD, and AutoCAD Civil 3D, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Possesses effective written and oral communications skills.
- Good interpersonal and people skills.
Qualifications & Experience
- Must be able to legally work in the United States
- Experience: 3+ years of engineering or relevant field experience.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering Technology, or similar field from an accredited institution.
Work is performed in an office setting and some field work is also required.
Travel is required (approximately 10-15%).
Must be able to lift 25lbs.
Employee is responsible for managing their own work schedule with input from supervisor and completing assigned tasks.
Employee should identify discrepancies in assigned work and bring to attention of supervisor or engineer responsible for the project in a timely manner. Employee’s work product should be self-checked in a manner that is suitable for review by the supervisor or engineer responsible for the project.
$60,000 – $110,000